Carer's Allowance is the main welfare benefit to help carers. You may still be able to claim it, even if you don't think of yourself as a carer.
How much could I get?
Carer's Allowance is worth £67.25 per week沙巴体育app (for April 2020-21) and is usually paid every four weeks.
You'll also get National Insurance credits each week towards your pension if you're under pension age.
Am I eligible for Carer's Allowance?
沙巴体育appYou could be eligible if you:
- spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person (you don't have to live with them or be related to them)
- care for someone who receives the higher-rate or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or any rate of Attendance Allowance
- do not earn more than £128 a week (after deductions)
- are not in full-time education
You don't have to be related to or live with the person you care for to claim Carer's Allowance. It's extra money each week for you to use as you want or need to.
If you think you won't be eligible to claim Carer’s Allowance because you have some savings, don't worry. Your savings and your National Insurance record won’t make a difference to your claim.
If you’re claiming Universal Credit, you may be able to get an extra amount because of your caring role without actually applying for Carer's Allowance. This is known as a carer element.
How do I claim Carer's Allowance?
- Call the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0800 731 0297 (textphone: 0800 731 0317).
- Visit .
After you submit your claim, you'll receive a decision in writing that will tell you if you have been awarded Carer's Allowance and from what date.
If your claim is turned down, read our information on challenging a benefits decision.
Need help with your claim?
We're here to help. Call Age UK Advice Line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. You can also get face-to-face support at local Age UKs.
More Carer's Allowance questions
What if my circumstances change?
What happens if the person I care for goes into hospital or moves into a care home?
Should I also get National Insurance credits?
What's your email address?
We're here to help
沙巴体育app We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 130 local Age UKs.