Free prescriptions for over 60s
You may be entitled to help with NHS health costs, depending on your age and circumstances.
What help could I get with health costs?
Everyone aged over 60 gets free prescriptions. If you're under 60 you can save money on prescriptions by buying from the NHS for 3 months or 12 months. This covers all your prescriptions for that period, regardless of how many you need.
If you’re 60 or over you're also entitled to a free NHS sight test, so you should let your optician know when you reach 60 if you haven't already.
沙巴体育appBut, depending on your circumstances, you could also get help with the following:
- NHS dental treatment
- the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- NHS wigs and fabric supports
- travel costs to receive NHS treatment.
Am I eligible for free health treatments?
沙巴体育appYou will qualify for help with these NHS costs if you and/or your partner receive any of the following benefits:
- the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (in some circumstances)
- Universal Credit ().
If you don’t receive any of these benefits, but have a low income, you may still get some help with health costs through the . Call Help with Health Costs on 0300 330 1343 for a form or pick one up from a dentist, optician or hospital.
How do I get the help I'm entitled to?
- If you receive any of the benefits listed above, all you need to do to get help with NHS costs, is to show your benefit award letter to health care staff when you book or attend an appointment.
- If you’re 60 or over, you may need to show proof of age to the pharmacist to get free prescriptions.
- If you qualify through the NHS Low Income Scheme you will either get HC2 certificate that entitles you to full help or HC3 certificate for partial help with health costs. Tell staff you have a certificate when you book an appointment and take it to your appointment.
What extra money are you entitled to?
沙巴体育app Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.