Tips to help you manage your money in winter
沙巴体育appLots of us find winter an expensive time of year. Darker nights and cold weather often mean higher bills. Plus the festive season can put a strain on your pocket!
A few simple changes to your home – or a bit of extra help – could ease the problem if you find you worry more about money at this time of year.
Keep well this winter
沙巴体育app Get tips and information on avoiding colds and flu, beating the winter blues and dealing with bad weather.
Get your home ready for winter
沙巴体育appIt's cheaper and easier to heat your home if it's well insulated and your heating works properly.
- Draught proof doors and windows, insulate the loft, lag the hot-water tank and pipes, and consider getting cavity-wall insulation.
- Have your heating system serviced each year and check that it's working before the cold weather starts. If you rent your home, your landlord should check your gas heating system and appliances for safety at least once a year.
Top tips for a warmer home
- Draw your curtains in the evenings to minimise heat loss through windows.
- Tuck long curtains behind radiators so that heat isn't trapped.
- Keep radiators and heaters clear so heat can circulate – don't put furniture in front of them or dry washing on them.
- If there are rooms you don't use, turn off the radiators in them and close the doors. Keep your home at a stable, comfortable temperature.
- Use your heating controls, such as thermostats and timers, to heat your home without wasting energy.
Get a home energy check
Some local Age UKs offer home energy checks. They'll send a trusted handyperson to your home, who will make sure that your home is energy efficient. If necessary, they'll also provide some free equipment to help you save money on your bills.
Save energy, pay less
沙巴体育app Get lots more tips on insulating and draught-proofing your home, as well as how to switch energy deals as this is often the quickest way to save money.
Check you're getting all the help you're entitled to
Now's a good time to check your finances and make sure you are receiving the benefits you’re entitled to.
There are a number of financial help schemes that can help with your energy bills this winter.
Winter Fuel Payment - this is an annual tax-free payment to help with heating costs. Make sure you're registered to get it - once you are, you'll receive it every year without having to do anything.
Cold Weather Payment - if it's very cold where you live (at or below 0 degrees) for a period of time, and you're receiving certain benefits, you may be eligible to receive £25 a week for each 7 day period of cold weather.
Warm Home Discount - this is a discount on your electricity bill. You may be able to get it if you get Pension Credit or are on a low income.
- if you're receiving Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, you may be able to get a Budgeting Loan to help with unexpected expenses. If you’re receiving Universal Credit you may be able to get other .
What extra money are you entitled to?
沙巴体育app Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.
Help with home repairs
沙巴体育appFixing a broken window, door or roof can make your home more comfortable and cheaper to heat.
In rented housing, your landlord is responsible for certain repairs, including structural repairs. If you own your home, you may be able to get help from your local council or a Home Improvement Agency.
Your local Age UK may also offer handyperson services to help you with repairs around the house.
Contact your local authority
沙巴体育app Get in touch with your local council
We're here to help
We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 130 local Age UKs.